Starting your day off with a dose of protein can not only help keep you satiated until lunchtime, but also may encourage you to make healthier choices throughout the day. These breakfast taco egg cups can be customized with a variety of toppings and are the perfect portable breakfast for busy mornings when you don’t have time to worry about dirtying a skillet.
The addition of a capsaicin-containing hot pepper such as a jalapeno can help enhance your metabolism, and provides immune-boosting vitamin C. If you prefer not to eat pork, sub in turkey bacon. Be sure to seek out non-gmo corn tortillas if you can, as corn is one of the most common genetically modified crops and is often treated with pesticides like glyphosate.
Prep these breakfast taco egg cups ahead of a busy week and enjoy having a healthy, perfectly portioned breakfast ready to go each morning!
12 soft non-gmo corn tortillas
Coconut oil spray
3 large strips of uncured, nitrate-free cooked bacon
12 pasture raised eggs
Dash of himalayan salt
Dash of black pepper
1 hot pepper, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using a circular cookie cutter, cut a 3 inch circle out the center of each tortilla.
3. Place 12 tortilla centers on a microwave safe dish, spaced out, and microwave for 20-30 seconds so tortillas are malleable.
4. Spray muffin pan with coconut oil spray.
5. Press the tortillas into the base of each muffin well.
6. Cut the cooked bacon into 1.5-2 inch sections (or 1/4’s) and lay on top of each tortilla, with some of the bacon sticking out of each well.
7. Crack eggs gently over each well, trying to avoid breaking the yolk.
8. Place a hot pepper slice on top of egg.
9. Add salt/pepper to taste.
10. Bake for 18-20 minutes based on desired doneness of yolk (20 minutes produces a firm yolk).