This vibrant salad is the perfect summer dish to serve alongside grilled chicken or wild salmon, or a as a standalone entree that is nutrient-dense and gluten-free.
Combine the protein and fiber-rich lentil pasta with healthy fats from the extra virgin olive oil and pine nuts and plenty of vegetables and you’ve got yourself one balanced meal!
The arugula is a rich source of vitamin C and A, and contains an anti-cancer compound called glucosinolate, and the tomatoes are rich in the powerful antioxidant lycopene.
Enjoy this delicious, refreshing dish!
Recipe by Brigid Titgemeier, RD of BeingBrigid.com
12 oz box lentil or bean based pasta
1 large yellow tomato, cut into medium-size chunks
2 large red tomatoes, cut into medium-size chunks
3/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
1 cup arugula
1 shallot, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
Dash of salt
Dash of black pepper
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Add the pine nuts to a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 5-7 minutes. Be sure they don’t burn!
3. Bring 6 qts of water to a boil in a large pot. Add tolerant pasta to boiling water and cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Stir very occasionally during cooking.
4. Remove the pasta from heat, drain and rinse. Allow the pasta to cool.
5. In a medium size serving bowl, combine the lentil pasta with the tomatoes, arugula, pine nuts, shallot, garlic, garlic powder, salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil.
6. Mix ingredients together and enjoy.