This warm and comforting stir-fry will have you eating the rainbow and maximizing your intake of micronutrients! Lean chicken breasts provide protein, and a savory sauce of almond butter, lemon, tamari, and turmeric provide healthy fats to give this meal staying power.
Curcumin, the active compound in turmeric, is a potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. This brilliant yellow spice lends a beautiful color and an exotic, gingery flavor.
Using sprouted brown rice as the base for your stir-fry can help increase your absorption magnesium, zinc, and calcium. Sprouting whole grains breaks down phytic acid, making them more easily digestible. You could easily substitute cauliflower rice if you prefer to avoid grains or eat a lower carbohydrate diet.
1 tbsp avocado oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup red onion, diced
2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
1 head of broccoli florets, sliced into 1 inch pieces
½ red bell pepper, sliced
½ yellow bell pepper, sliced
½ orange bell pepper, sliced
1 ½ lbs organic chicken breasts, chopped into 2 inch pieces
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Dash of salt
Dash of black pepper
3 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
½ cup hot water
¼ tsp turmeric powder
1 ¼ cup sprouted brown rice
*rice used in recipe is Trader Joe’s Sprouted Organic Cauliflower Rice Brown, Red & Black Rice
2 cups water
1. Add almond butter, lemon juice, tamari soy sauce, hot water and turmeric powder to a medium sized mason jar. Shake vigorously and then let sit.
2. Heat avocado oil in a large wok over medium heat.
3. Once the oil has heated, add garlic and red onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add mushrooms, broccoli and bell pepper slices and sauté for an additional 5-6 minutes.
5. Turn heat to simmer and cover.
6. In a separate pan, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium heat.
7. Add chicken pieces and top with a dash of salt and pepper.
8. Cook chicken for 10-12 minutes, or until fully cooked, flipping every few minutes.
9. On a separate burner in a medium sauce pot, start to cook the rice, according to the directions on the bag.
10. Drain any water from the chicken and then add chicken to the wok with vegetables.
11. Shake the mason jar one more time and pour the sauce over the vegetables and chicken.
12. Serve on top of rice.
One serving: 1 ½ cups of chicken vegetable stir-fry with ½ cup sprouted rice